- Basic GIS Concepts
- Crime Mapping and Geographic Profiling
- Crime Analysis in America
- Download file and use Stuffit to uncompress the file-
Click HERE to download
dataset (Crime_Patterns.zip) NOTE: This file is almost 6mgs!
- When you unstuff the file, you should have the following
docs - This folder contains the
lessons in pdf format
crimeanalysis3.apr - NOTE: This
is the ArcView Project file.
- We will work on CP1-Exercise 1 - Crime Analysis
in class today. Hopefully some of you can progress through Exercise
2 and Exercise 3.
- Two things you need to do before you begin
(if you are on a Mac)
- Before you begin
these exercises, you need to make sure the EXTENSIONS are
all checked (turned on)
FILE-->EXTENSIONS and check them!
- You also should remember to check
the memory allocation before you begin. Allocate as much
memory to ArcView as possible
To do this find the program icon (you
need the actual program...not an alias) Click once on
the icon to highlight it. Hold down the "apple
key" (next to the space bar) and then press the
letter i. A box will come up with information about
the program. Click on the bar that tells general information...another
option will appear called MEMORY. Open
that and reset the memory. I suggest a minimum setting
of 30000 for required and 50000 for optimal.
- If you get to Exercise 3 and are working
on a Mac-- you will not have a BUFFER WIZARD--
instead, you need to follow the following instructions:
J., "The Geography of Crime",
Mercator's World, Sept/Oct., 1998, pp 46-51.