The Cemetery as a Social Document
Select a cemetery which you wish to visit (temporarily) and study.
As a result of this field activity, you will:
- Prepare a detailed map of your study site,
- Analyze the data you gather from the gravestones in a spreadsheet
- Write a brief report (3-4 pages-typewritten) which summarizes
While each study will vary in content and emphasis, the following
A. Basic Cemetery Report:
- Cemetery Name
- Type: community, township, church, family, etc.
- Approximate number of total grave sites. Minimum number is 50.
If your chosen cemetery is exceptionally large (over 250) you
should select one or two sub-sections.
- Cemetery Age and Size
- Information on grave markers and monuments. For monument types
styles and materials: commercial, generic, homecrafted, indigenous.
symbolization and inscriptions (other than basic data entry)
Unique shapes, sizes, designs and decorations
- Special monuments, signs, benches, statuary, etc.
- Structures: buildings, fences, gates, paths, roadways, etc.
B. Making a Map of your cemetery.
All maps should include:direction
scale- both RF and graphic
locational information.... lat/long and UTM.
Fertility and Mortality:
Print the cemetery data sheet (sample
online) to collect birth and death dates for graves in your
site. Determine the mean ages at the time of death of those interred
before 1920 and those interred 1960 or later. Exclude infants
(deaths prior to one year of age.) What inferences can you make
for any differences?
Use the data collected to prepare a population pyramid of the
ages and numbers of individuals buried at your site. Use the techniques
demonstrated in class.
Your final project is DUE ON ___October
15______and should include the following:
- Computer Generated MAP of cemetery with
gravesite locations marked. Maps should include DIRECTION, SCALE,
LOCATIONAL INFORMATION, LEGEND and ANY OTHER INFORMATION YOU
FEEL APPROPRIATE. --You can include this on a separate sheet
of paper if you wish. SAMPLE
- ROUGH FIELD MAP--Include your rough sketch
field map in your final packet of material. The reason for including
this map is so I can double check your scale and calculations.
Sample Rough Sketch Map
- DATA LISTING-- Use the Online Form to collect
your data or create a similar form of your own. This information
MUST be entered into a spreadsheet program.
- REPORT (2-4 PAGES, double-spaced, typed,
font size 10-14, margins not wider than 1.5 inches) summarizing
your map and data.